« "...black timbers etched against a setting sun..." | Main | Remind me one more time... »

Silverfross Drive In

Silverfross2
Silverfross1
Silverfross4

Sharp matchbook here from the old Silverfross Drive In, on Lincoln Highway on the east side of Joliet. The restaurant is obviously long gone, but I'll have to drive past that intersection and since if the building is still there. I don't know about you, but even though it's only ten o'clock in the morning a pork tenderloin, fries and root beer sounds pretty damned good right now.

November 16, 2009 in Ephemera, Joliet | Permalink

Comments

That sounds good any time of the day or night.

Posted by: Paul Lamb at Nov 16, 2009 6:51:53 PM

Let us know what you find. It seems too much to hope that building will still be there.

Posted by: Jeff McMahon at Nov 18, 2009 2:29:23 PM

Beautiful old graphics. And even though I just had lunch, I'd also gladly tuck into some tenderloin, etc. right now.

Posted by: Slimbolala at Nov 19, 2009 12:07:42 PM

I ate there when I was about 6 years old, after swimming at the downtown Y. (No idea if that's still there either.)

I ran across this post while looking at images from Joliet. I grew up there in the 70s and for some reason, just recently, the SilverFross came to mind and I could NOT find anything online about it.

Thanks so much!

Posted by: Roadchick at Jul 1, 2010 2:56:37 PM

The YMCA building is still there, but it's been converted into senior citizen apartments. And as a followup, I drove past the Silverfross site a few days after my original post, and sadly the building has either been demolished or renovated completely beyond recognition.

Posted by: Pete at Jul 2, 2010 10:55:41 AM

The old Silverfross Drive In was torn down in the mid 1990's. That was a place that should have been on the historical protection list.So many friendships began there. It was truly the place to be on a saturday night back in the 50's and 60's. My aunt used to be a cook there for many years. I wish there could be some kind of reunion put together.

Posted by: Dale Santerelli at Feb 4, 2011 3:17:25 PM

Dale, thanks for the update, even though it's disappointing news. I didn't move to Joliet until 2000, so I never saw this obvious gem of a building.

Posted by: Pete at Feb 7, 2011 8:45:17 AM

check out fans of the silverfross drive-in on facebook

Posted by: bob at May 31, 2011 12:28:35 PM