« Speaking of Hemon... | Main | So who's to blame? »

Joliet: No to Meijer

The developer of the long-awaited upscale lifestyle center at the northwest corner of Route 59 and Theodore Street has completely shifted gears. Blaming difficult economic conditions, the developer now wants a Meijer store there instead.

The developer of what once was supposed to be a one-of-a-kind, upscale shopping center now plans to put a big-box Meijer supercenter store at the corner of Illinois 59 and Theodore Street.

The 24-hour, 156,000-square-foot store would go into Tower Marketplace of Joliet.

The shopping center, originally called Bronk's Corners, was announced three years ago with much fanfare. Developer Ardmin Properties said then that it planned to create a signature development that would serve as a gathering place for people who would shop at unique stores and dine at upscale restaurants.

That plan, however, has run up against a downturn in the economy and increased competition from other retail projects planned for the area.

Adding a Meijer store is such a change in course for Tower Marketplace that the store will have to get city council approval before it can be built.

What an incredibly bad idea. There's already a Wal-Mart right across the street, and a Target a quarter of a mile away. The area is already ridiculously congested as it is, and adding another big box retailer will make it even worse. Better to leave the land parcel vacant for a few years until economic conditions improve and a better use for it can be found, than to add another big box that the area really doesn't need.

If you live in Joliet and agree with me on this, I urge you to contact your Councilman immediately and voice your concerns.

October 16, 2008 in Joliet | Permalink

Comments

When I lived in Michigan, Meijer was the only game in town. Of course, that was back in the day when Sam Walton and Fred Meijer were both alive and had a gentleman's handshake that there would never be a Wal-Mart and Meijer in the same town (or was it the same state). I'm pretty sure that wasn't an urban myth, anyway.

Springfield has three Wal-Marts and one Meijer. I go to none of them.

Posted by: Marie at Oct 18, 2008 8:11:38 PM

I have been trying to find a way to contact my Councilman but the city liason for the council never calls anyone back and has never answered the phone. In fact no one in Joliet City govt. ever responds to voice mails, especially that greedy punk Fisher. The reason that the development is not going as planned is that Ardmin is extremely greedy and was not willing to make the kind of deals needed to attract quality tennants. They just thought if they built it they would all run right up and get in line. Do you have any contact info for the Councilmen?

Posted by: Tim Duda at Oct 20, 2008 4:04:35 PM

I was looking so forward in taking my family walking around and shopping in the new Bronks corner shopping mall. I am so disappointed that they might put a Meijer there. We don't need any more grocery stores around here. We have a Walmart supercenter,Jewel,Stack&Vantill,Dominick's and a Target. WE DON'T NEED MEIJER'S

Posted by: Bert at Oct 22, 2008 6:04:26 PM

Are you kidding me???? This crappy property managment company and Joliet government sold out too Meijers? What was supposed to be such a nice shopping center with higher end stores is now going to cause more traffic, more riff/raff and is really just a huge disappointment. Thanks for lying to Joliet residents councilmen. I hope once word gets out the residents will pull together and stop this. WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER STUPID GROCERY STORE!!!

Posted by: Elaine at Oct 24, 2008 12:41:04 AM

Tim, Bert, and Elaine, thanks for your strong responses. The only contact info I have for any of the councilmen is the email address for Tim Brophy - I got it a few years ago from a flyer of his that was soliciting public opinion on Metra parking, but since he never bothered replying to my email I doubt if it will do any good in voicing complaints against Meijer. If my experience and Tim's are any indication of how responsive the council is to the public's concerns, maybe we need a completely new council. But in the meantime, definitely keep trying to contact the council any way you can.

Posted by: Pete at Oct 24, 2008 7:45:38 AM

I personaly like the Meijer Stores,The are a lot more cleaner than Walmart.,I wish we would have one in Joliet, price wise Meijer is more reasonable priced- on organic items.

Posted by: Elke Graber at Jun 21, 2009 8:28:05 AM

ardmin is deep in the sht and will take any sucker tenant that wants to sign up...i feel bad for the investors of ardmin who have been lied too; and the bordering neighbors of that overbuilt bronx center that is sitting vacant and will sit vacant of years so come.

Posted by: h at Feb 17, 2010 10:53:07 AM

so hopeful for a bronks corner atmosphere, i am going to spread the word...no MEIJER

Posted by: margie at May 6, 2010 8:55:03 PM