Good Reading 2009
In what is becoming dangerously close to a revered tradition around here, below is my 2009 best-of list. As always, few titles that were published this year, and quite a few chestnuts.
1. Budd Schulberg: What Makes Sammy Run? (Review)
2. George Orwell: 1984 (Review)
3. Mark Costello: The Murphy Stories (Review)
4. Aleksandar Hemon: Love and Obstacles (Review)
5. Barbara Kingsolver: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life (Review)
6. Mark Twain: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Review)
7. Henry David Thoreau: Walden, or Life in the Woods (Review)
8. Nathanael West: Miss Lonelyhearts (Review)
9. Isaac Bashevis Singer: Gimpel the Fool and Other Stories
10. Flannery O'Connor: A Good Man Is Hard to Find and Other Stories (Review)
William Trevor: Death in Summer; Edmund Wilson: The American Jitters: A Year of the Slump (Review); John Cook: Our Noise: The Story of Merge Records, the Indie Label That Got Big and Stayed Small (Review); Aldous Huxley: Brave New World (Review); Jack Conroy: The Disinherited (Review).
Pär Lagerkvist: The Dwarf (Review)
I'm glad I finally convinced you to read 1984 and happy to see it was #2 for the year!
Posted by: Julie at Dec 21, 2009 4:08:59 PM