Good Reading 2007
Once again, here's my year-end best-of list. As always, these are all books that I read during 2007, not that were published in 2007, with the latter being prohibited by my chronic sloth in checking out new releases. The envelope, please...
1. Ward Just: Forgetfulness (review)
2. Ian McEwan: Atonement (review)
3. Laila Lalami: Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits (review)
4. Bayo Ojikutu: Free Burning (review)
5. Cormac McCarthy: The Road (review)
6. Sherwood Anderson: Winesburg, Ohio (review)
7. William Trevor: The Hill Bachelors
8. Kurt Vonnegut: A Man Without a Country (review)
9. Aaron Petrovich: The Session (review)
10. Ben Tanzer: Lucky Man
Honorable Mentions: Jon Krakauer: Under the Banner of Heaven; Calvin Trillin: Travels With Alice; Nathanael West: The Day of the Locust; James M. Cain: The Postman Always Rings Twice; Edward Gorey: Amphigorey Again
Friends and Acquaintances: Steven J. McDermott: Winter of Different Directions; Rick Kogan: A Chicago Tavern: A Goat, a Curse, and the American Dream; Various Writers: All Hands On: THE2NDHAND Reader
Thanks so much Pete, though I am concerned that Kurt Vonnegut just rolled-over in his grave.
Posted by: Ben Tanzer at Jan 1, 2008 6:46:12 PM